Tuesday, 29 May 2012

My Life, Put Into Perspective

Because I live in North America, I am exposed to many different things such as multiculturalism, religion and world issues. This exposure creates the opportunity to educate myself and others on many social justice causes. I chose the topic of sex trafficking because of a documentary I saw a couple years ago. The pain and suffering of victims, the guiltless and shameless behavior of perpetrators have haunted me ever since. I wanted to know more about how this issue manifests and flourishes under certain circumstances and what makes, both victims and traffickers, get involved in this nasty business. Therefore, over the course of this blog and my research, I have learned a lot. I learned about the history of sex trafficking, causes as well as vulnerability factors, and those involved and potential solutions. Overall, the most important lesson I have learned is that even though something may seem impossible to fix, it is never truly broken beyond repair. There is always a way to make the situation better; whether it be through awareness, media, legislation or revolution.

Learning about sex trafficking has impacted my understanding of the world in a big way. Seeing documentaries and videos through the eyes of trafficked women and girls really puts my life into perspective. Knowing  the suffering physical, sexual and verbal abuse causes, makes my like seem like a cake walk. I am not beaten, raped or threatened on a daily basis nor am I torn away and moved across the country away from my loved ones. Living in a country like Canada, full of excess and "wants" rather than "needs"; makes me realize how lucky I am. I am lucky to have a loving family with financial security and I should also realize and be grateful for the fact that I receive love and support regularly. By reading my blog I hope that you, the reader, don't take you life for granted and appreciate every freedom and liberty you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment